St. Mark's Church, Clerkenwell (Anglican)

St. Mark's Church, Clerkenwell (Anglican)

Myddelton Square
Angel
London
EC1R 1XX
Telephone:  020 7278 9785

url http://www.stmarks-clerkenwell.co.uk/

Map of location

St Mark’s is a typically “Anglican” parish: unlike its neighbours it is neither Anglo-Catholic nor Evangelical in tradition, and attracts worshippers who are comfortable with a restrained, recognizably Anglican liturgy.

St Mark’s uses Common Worship on Sundays and the English Hymnal, and the Sunday liturgy is modern catholic – vestments, lights, nave altar (although communion is received at the high altar). Incense is not used and the sacrament is not currently reserved.

History

The present Parish was originally part of the Parish of St. James, Clerkenwell. In 1781, the Prince Regent (later George IV) urged Parliament to provide new churches for the rapidly expanding population of London.

In 1822 the Reverend Thomas Handley of the parish of Saint James, Clerkenwell, reported that the parish contains about 36,000 inhabitants and there is not accommodation in the two parochial churches and chapel for more than one tenth that number. Mr Handley approached the New River Company which still had uncovered ground in the district.

"If, in laying out the ground for building purposes you contemplate having a square, I cannot think anything could be more appropriate, both as a necessary and an ornamental edifice, than a handsome church, to be erected in the middle of such a square."

The ground in the centre of the new Myddelton Square was subsequently donated. The New River company appointed its surveyor, William Chadwell Mylne, who had laid out the surrounding residences and school, to design the new church and stipulated that there was to be no graveyard around the Church and that the majority of the Square was to be available for the use of the residents.

The church foundation stone was laid in April 1825 and the completed church was then consecrated by the Bishop of London, Dr William Howley (later Archbishop of Canterbury) on Tuesday 1st January 1828. The Church of St Mark cost about £16,000 to build.

Today the church is a Grade II listed building, a focal point of The New River Conservation Area, and its west tower continues to be a handsome and important feature in a townscape with commanding views across London. It is floodlit at night. Nicholas Pevsner described the church as a neat Gothic box.